Cloud computing is a type of Internet-based computing that provides shared computer processing resources and data to computers and other devices on demand.There are 3 main service models in cloud computing.
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
Software as a Service (SaaS)
- This service model provides the capability to the customer to use the providers applications as a cloud infrastructure.
- The application can be accessed from various client device through various client interfaces such as web browsers or program interfaces.
- Consumer doesn’t manage the underlying cloud infrastructure.
- Limited user specific configuration settings.
Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- This service model enables the customer to deploy the applications onto the cloud infrastructure.
- Application are either consumer created or acquired ones.
- Application should have been created using programming languages, services, libraries,tools which are supported by the provider.
- Consumer does not have the control over underlying cloud infrastructure.
- But has control over the deployed applications and their configuration setting s in app-hosting environment.
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- This service model enables the customer to provision processing, storage, networks and other fundamental computing resources.
- Consumer is able to run and deploy arbitrary software including operating systems and applications.
- Consumer does not manage or control the underlying cloud infrastructure.
- But has control over operating system, storage and deployed applications.
- Limited control on selected network components (e.g.- firewalls).